Book Review: The Miniaturist.

Image result for the miniaturist
The photo above is from: paperbackcastles: a blogger who posts really in depth quality book reviews. My gran this year for Christmas got me "The Miniaturist" and a few other books that I'd been dying to get my hands on and I have to say, the minute I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. Jessie Burton is so clever with the language she uses and isn't too obvious about where the plot lines will go, which made the whole thing incredibly gripping. The characters are all wonderfully complex and everything makes sense. It all flows together nicely. Sometimes, I feel, with dramatic books they get a bit tedious because a random death will occur for no reason (as an example) just to make the plot feel more interesting but with this book everything that happens feels natural and almost inevitable - but not in a straight forward manner. I didn't guess many of the plots twists and turns which is something I enjoy because my mind will always jump to the conclusion and I like the element of surprise this book gave me numerous times. The themes of the book are really well thought out and you can tell that Burton has been researching the piece for years. I love that it's also based on a real doll house owned by Petronella Oortman too! It adds another layer of realism to the work. I rate this book a full ten out of ten and recommend it for anyone who wants something exciting and gripping with brilliant characters and story lines. This would be perfect for a train journey, going on holiday or even just chilling at home.
Thanks for reading,
Alexandria.

No comments